08 December 2010

Childhood memories

If you have a Facebook account, you probably have noticed this:

November 22 to November 29, change your profile picture on Facebook, for a cartoon of your childhood. Why is this? To see only cartoons until Monday on Facebook, to create an invasion of memories of a well spent childhood to join the fight against child violence.

Either that, or this:

Change your Facebook profile picture to a cartoon from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same. Until monday there should be nohuman faces on facebook, but an invasion of memories! This is for campaign against violence on children.

Are these really the memories of your childhood? Cartoon characters?
The first one is actually the original text, according to some net reports. I did not really buy this. One, because I don't usually buy memes in Facebook. And two, because these are not really the memories that I have from my childhood. I only saw a Simpson episode just a couple of years ago. I was introduced to Yuyu Hakushi only when I entered college. Dragon Ball Z is something that I followed only when pirated DVDs became 'rampant' in commercial districts.

I am an old school kid. After class, I don't go to my room and watch TV or cartoons -- I go to the streets and wait for my friends so we can play patintero or tumbang preso. During summer, we play softball or fly kites. If I have to post childhood memories in Facebook, these are probably some of the things I'll post:

Tumbang preso, patintero, softball, kite flying, and
hide-and-seek (where places under kitchen sinks are a fortress!)
are just some of the best memories of my childhood.
Batman, Superman, and the rest of their 'species' came into my life only after my Hulk-Hogan-Ultimate-Warrior-and-Hitman phase. :-)

6 comments:

Angeli said...

hindi ko yata nasubukang makipaglaro sa labas tulad mo. lagi lang akong nakakulong sa bahay at nagbabasa. yun ang childhood memory ko. :)

mordsith said...

during my time, ang "old school" kid ay nahahati ang oras sa panonood ng cartoons at paglalaro sa kalye. =) uunahin munang tapusin ang cartoons sa Sabado ng umaga at saka maglalaro maghapon! Pag Lunes hanggang Biyernes naman, wala ng cartoons pagdating sa bahay. hehe. kaya laro na lang. =)

Ar-Ar Malalis said...

Ginawa kong profile pix sina Julio at Julia! kasi un talaga ang pinapanuod ko ng kabataan ko, I think I was 11 years old nung sinimulan kong panuorin un :))

Traveliztera said...

awww sarap nga nung childhood days na yan. playing outside with other kids. hayyyy nostalgic

eks said...

@angeli, grabe naman, bata ka pa lang pala mahilig ka na magbasa. sabagay, it shows naman sa pagsusulat ko kung gaano kadami na ang nabasa mo. :-) kung gagawin sigurong library ang koleksyon ng mga nabasa mo, pwede ng i-serve ang isang community no?

@mordsith, wala kaming tv kaya walang cartoons ever. hahaha. highschool o college na yata ako nakapanood ng matino sa tv. kaya yun, nagugulat sila pag sinasabi kong di ko kilala si eugene at son gokou. :-D

eks said...

@Ar-Ar, yung kambal ng tadhana! 3rd yr highschool na ako niyan nung mapanood ko yan. nakikinood ako sa mga pinsan ko. hahaha.

@traveliztera, saya talaga! lalo na kapag kabilugan ng buwan, naglalaro kami ng patintero. saya!!!!