21 August 2011

Smoking ban TRO

I'm not sure if you've already heard the news about the smoking ban on street sides in Metro Manila being put on hold per order of a court. Well, FYI: there is/was a smoking ban being implemented by MMDA. Here's a more detailed post on that. The reason cited, I think, was that while it was mentioned in the Republic Act that smoking will be prohibited in schools, hospitals, etc, there was no mention of the ban/restriction along the streets of the metro. I sometimes can't help but -- for the lack of term -- smile at the logic/reasoning behind some of the controversial rulings we hear from time to time. I know that the intention of the ruling is to protect the public by making sure no policies or rules are implemented without a sound and legitimate basis. But -- yeah, I've said it already. I cannot help but smile. :-)

Oh, and I'm sure firms who offer smokers life insurance are more than just smiling right now.

No comments: