10 March 2011

Maling Akala: Part 2

People make mistakes. And because we do not have a time machine to correct it (Hi, Mordsith!), we are left with dealing with the consequences. And this post is just about that.

But before the "dealing" part, the "mistake" part first.

I needed an FTP server that offers huge capacity. I have 27 GB with Google. This would have been enough (almost) but my problem is the slow uploading of materials as I have no idea how to use an FTP client to do this. So, I looked for online sites offering what I am looking for. And then I saw this site offering unlimited storage capacity -- unlimited uploads and downloads, unlimited email accounts, unlimited bandwidth, you know, the whole shebang.

So, I bought an annual membership from them, made some configurations, and started uploading materials. I was able to upload in less than 3 hours, I think, what I would have uploaded in almost a day if I don't have this service. So, everything is OK. And when I check my stats in the cpanel of my account, everything looks so good:

  • bandwidth = 500+ MB of [UNLIMITED]
  • email accounts = 1 of [UNLIMITED]
  • ftp users = 1 of [UNLIMITED]

And then, when I clicked a button directing me to Disk Space Usage, I saw this:
Reminder: The Terms of Service does not allow inappropriate use of our network for online storage. Please see "UNLIMITED" USAGE POLICIES AND DEFINITIONS for more information. Files uploaded in connection with your hosted site are always welcome. [emphasis mine] For approved online backup services please visit the Partners section of cPanel.
Argh! All the files I uploaded has nothing to do with my hosted site! In fact, I do not even have a site hosted there. I was just after the unlimited file storage (mali na naman!). The site has not contacted me yet, but I am expecting an email anytime from them telling me I am using their site inappropriately, and probably, they'll tell me to back up those files somewhere else. Hayyy. Strike 2 na ako.

Now, the "dealing" part. :-) If you have reached reading this part, wala kang magawa no? :-). Anyway, if you are reading this, I am offering you a simple "gift". I can host unlimited number of domains. If you want a Wordpress blog, I can open one for you. But you have to buy your own domain, of course. But hey, free hosting is free hosting. :-) The only thing I ask in return is that you call Hartford flower delivery and send Solenn a bouquet and probably some chocolates. Hehehe. Naah, just don't upload anything unnecessary so my account will remain active.

E-mail me at ekstranghero at gmail dot com.

So, yun. I hope this Maling Akala posts won't become a regular post here.

2 comments:

kg said...

eks, speak in english...i have no idea what you're talking about! he he! bandwith? FTP? host site?

the untechie in me is so uncool! hmp!

TPS said...

KG, I was about to say the same thing...these are all foreign to me...