13 March 2011

Citizen X

Last Friday, I went back to Manila to attend to some matters affecting my being a "citizen". I went to my (probably yours , too) favorite government agency of all time -- the Bureau of Internal Revenue. Yes, the BIR. Do I still need to explain why I need to go to the bureau? (No.) Yeah, that was what I thought , too.

I had to endure hours of travel (due to traffic!) just to find out when I got to my destination that the BIR office moved to another location just a week ago. Isn't that nice? Now, it would have been not so bad if the new location is not that far. Well, it is not, but anyone who passes by Sucat road on a regular basis would understand how bad it is to, well, pass by Sucat road. Hayy...

It's just really frustrating sometimes that while you are doing your best to be a good citizen, your government, on the other hand, is not doing its part to be a good agent. I mean, it's not as if you only do this once (like choosing one from a set of scott kay engagement rings -- unless you'll be buying an engagement ring twice). This is something we do regularly. Which means, regular frustration. :-(

I cannot imagine why it is not possible for them to make many important services available online. The infrastructure is already available. You don't really need a T1 line or a very skilled programmer/developer to make stuff like request to transfer records available in the Internet, right? In terms of payment centers, they alreay have available arrangements with banks, so, what preventing them from making an extra effort to go online? They do offer some great information via their web sie. But I guess more than that is the need for their service to become more responsive to us, to the citizens.




Can you guys remind me again why we have to pay our taxes?

1 comment:

TPS said...

Did you forget na? We're paying taxes so politicians, generals, their wives and/or mistress(es) (and vice versa, depending on the spouse) can afford all the luxuries that we ourselves cannot buy for ourselves. Hehehehe, bitter much.