13 March 2011

127 Hours

If there's anything at all that I am happy with from my frustrations last Friday, that is probably the chance I had to buy dibidis. I bought 6 DVDs: Wall Street 2, The Mechanic, The Green Hornet, 127 Hours, Faster, and Sanctum. I'm done with the first four (I almost did not sleep last Friday).

Of all four that I've watched already, I strongly recommend watching 127 hours. I really believe James Franco could have won the Best Actor award if not for Colin Firth -- in fact, I really believe the movie could have won Best Picture, again, if not for The King's Speech. (And this is exactly why I looked for the the latter because I have not watched it yet.)

127 Hours is not that kind of movie where it presents social event or triumphs. It's not that kind of story where you can make a social critique of. It's more on the individual nature... the human nature to survive. It's about regret, hope, acceptance, you know, individual human values. If you have time, it will be worth your time.

127 Hours is a 2010 biographical adventure film produced, co-written and directed by Danny Boyle. The film stars James Franco as mountain climber Aron Ralston, who became trapped by a boulder in Robbers Roost, Utah, for more than five days in early 2003 before amputating his arm with a dull knife. - Wikipedia.

Let me just clarify that: He was trapped in that very same location because the boulder landed on his arm. He cannot escape and even if he wanted to cut his arms as early as in his first day, he wasn't able to do that because his knife was very, very dull. His water is just in a 1-liter or so container, he has limited food, of course, and, well, noone is searching for him because he didn't tell anyone what he plans to do and where he is going. He only succeeded in amputating his arm on his 5th day. (One can only wish he had SSDI benefits when he did that.) So, the story is about the 5 days he was in that location.

I'll be watching The King's Speech later. :-)

5 comments:

Angeli said...

sobra akong naaliw sa pelikulang ito. :)

Calvin said...

ganda no? gusto rin itong manalo ng best picture or best actor. syaang. pero magaling din naman ginawa ni colin firth.

eks said...

@angeli, watched it again as soon as i got home (probinsya). hehehe. remember that scene when aron was interviewing 'aron'? the best part of that scene is the "oooops!" hehehe.

@calvin, palpak yung king's speech ko! di mabasa ng player. hahaha.

unlimited online backup said...

ganda no? gusto rin itong manalo ng best picture or best actor. syaang. pero magaling din naman ginawa ni colin firth.

pinaytraveljunkie said...

Haven't watched this film :( But really interested to see The King's Speech too!