08 June 2012

The one who got away

Today, I was able to witness a very well-rounded conversation that I never think is really possible at all. Well, not really, but I  never really imagined I'd be able to listen to this kind of conversation. This is between two guys -- one who's in his 30s and another who's in his late 60s, I think. They were sitting near the table I am occupying and both were wearing beaded bracelets.

My fascination is on how they were able to converse in such depth considering the different topics they're talking about. Here's how it went (the topics).

They started talking about the gay culture (and I think this is because there are two gay couples in another table). One was arguing it was a decision (being a gay, that is), the other a genetic probability. I was amazed at how they argued their case. At this point, I thought the younger man is a sociologist, and the older one, a biologist or geneticist. Somewhere in their conversation, the Ancient Greeks were mentioned.

Then, they shifted to domestic violence. It was so smooth (the shift in conversation) that I actually forgot how they arrived there! Amazing.

A few minutes after, the older guy noticed me tweaking something in the web layout I am working on. I know he noticed that, because he started another topic -- web design. I was, at first, thinking of butting in. They started with JavaScript and SQL, about basic HTML and CSS... I told myself, this is my turf. But when the younger guy started talking about HTML5 versus flash, IPv4 and IPv6, firewalls, malwares, and vulnerabilities, I decided not to join them. For my sake. Hehehe. 

Now, I was so happy listening to them, when the older guy started a topic in architecture -- I think this was when the younger guy was talking about network architecture. I got lost in their architecture talk.

I called my sister to ask her something. And after the call, I listened again to the guys... and no, they're not done yet.

At that time, they were talking about foreign diplomacy of America, Asian maritime security, and technological warfare of -- the older guy said -- "first world countries"... In my mind I said "you mean developed countries"; then, I heard the younger guy said "you mean developed countries?". Hahaha. I was laughing so hard in my mind that they almost heard the echo of my thoughts! :-)

They hang on to the topic (I guess it's current events time) for a while, until they both agreed to end their discussion with some thoughts on the philosophy of war. 

I almost blurted to the guys: WILL YOU MARRY ME, PLEASE?! I hesitated because I think I was hoping they would at least talk about movies. I mean, how can you live in a world without movies, right?

The younger guy looked at his watch, and said: "Hey, it's almost time. I'm so excited to watch Prometheus. The reviews are great!" to which the older guy replied, "I hope this is better than The Avengers."

And then they walked away.

1 comment:

sheng said...

Hahaha, nice! How I wish I could listen to them talk too. Then I'd be in a state you're in. I'd ask them to marry me right away.