10 January 2009

About E[K]STRANGHERO

This was originally posted in my old blog.


1. I shoplifted not just once — SM, National Bookstore, Mercury, and a few other places. The best shoplifting experience was the one in National Bookstore. I wrote a short essay on that (justifying what I did, hehehe), submitted it to a newspaper. They published it, I received an honorarium (1K). A station manager of a radio station (AM, though) read my essay and he invited me to his radio show. It was a 2-hour discussion on shoplifting (participants, ako, a psychologist [nyahaha!], two [I think] store owners). I received 2K and a coffee mug. The book? The Brethren, John Grisham.

(1.5 I also guested in Mar Roxas’radio show when they needed someone for a discussion on election. I was the representative of the nonvoting [apathetic according to a few callers] sector.)

2. I used to dance. I was always a top pick by my teachers (peksman!) during school activities/festivities. Grade 3 - Lambada (believe it or not); Grade 4 - a folk dance; Grades 5 and 6 - something modern (and by ‘modern,’ this is possibly retro to some. Yikes!), but I cannot remember them; high school years (1st, 2nd) - dance troupe [super active] member.

3. I was an active member of League of Filipino Students (LFS) when I was in college, freshie. I almost joined them in the countryside. And believe it or not, I joined LFS because I thought my first college crush was their member, only to find out she’s from Gabriella. (And of course, they did not accept me in the group when I attempted to submit my application! Nyahaha!)

4. I was awarded Best in Christian Living in 1st year HS. During the same year, I was chosen to be the substitute teacher for our Christian Living class. (Once a year, our teachers rest for a week and allow ‘outstanding’ students to teach their class. Yeah, I was THAT good in Christian Living.) By next school year, I was a frequent visitor at the Mother Superior’s (our principal) office for… ahmmm… misdemeanor. Parang ganun. No, I did not turn to the dark side; my classmates just suddenly became too good… too effin’ good. Deym.

5. I can speak Russian, Japanese, and French (with fluency[?] of a 1- or 2-year-old kid, hehehe).

6. I have been to the Death Row many times, and I have talked to more than half of the inmates there. Part of a humanitarian project. Kool di ba?

7. In my first visit to UP, I and a friend walked from EDSA-Quezon Avenue to UP Registar’s Office. The bus driver (from Pampanga) told us to get off at Q. Ave., then, take a UP-bound jeep. Being the promdi that we were, we took off at Q. Ave, and fearing we might get lost, we followed, on foot, the jeepneys going to UP. (We dropped pieces of biscuits along the way to guide us back where we came from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truth is, I've known about this for quite a while.