06 April 2009

Just Another Racist Remark to the Filipinos

Just a quick post guys, here is an article by some Bridget Saunders. Stumbled upon a Facebook account. After that Hong Kong Magazine article, here's another similar racist remark from supposedly educated people.

What? What? Can you repeat that PLEASE!!

I read with a sinking stomach that Telecom, in their infinite wisdom, are moving 250 call centre jobs to Manila which will bring their number of call centre people there to 700. 
Must be a money saver...why pay Kiwis a half decent wage when you can get the job done more cheaply elsewhere?
hisssssssssss..............
I've had a lot of problems with email, am on the phone to xtra at least once a week - and it drives me nuts.
It's bad enough that Telecom/xtra can fail in their service to us full stop, and it's even worse if that failure is not reflected in a reduced phone bill, but what's really infuriating is not being able to understand the person on the other end of the line who is supposed to be helping.
Filipinos learn American English and their accents are diabolically hard to understand. They are so heavy!
When I have to call them for help I am always stressed out (because my job is communication and I can't afford to be offline and incommunicado - that would mean blank pages in About Town!) so getting someone with a voice that a) is almost unintelligible and b) grates, really fires me up. It shouldn't I know. But it does. Their voices are not just impossible to understand, they are really annoying as well. You know how some accents can be totally charming? Well, these are anything but! They must be the least attractive accents in the world!
And because these people are as close as we get to the actual corporation I allow myself to fully vent my anger...
E.g. after getting someone to repeat something 6 times I will yell in frustration.
I am better with Indian call centres since I saw Slumdog Millionaire, and I can cope with Cairo, but Manila? I lose it!
Wouldn't it be nice if Kiwis could do these jobs instead of adding to the unemployment.
It's mental. It doesn't make sense and it makes me really really mad!!!!

You can find the link of the website here .

5 comments:

zarine said...

I cannot say for sure that my *accent* is NOT diabolically hard to understand; my voice grates and is annoying to my own ears at times, but it has nothing to do with my being a Filipino.

Maybe(because I've never talked to one) we can say the same about a handful of Kiwis, but why bother? You make racist comments, you must be prepared to have your ass handed to you. Of course besides that it's just wrong.

Rico said...

Ok. It's my fault. It was me. She was actually talking about that SIX TIMES I rejected her for phone sex!

I repeatedly did told her that we don't do "that" kind of service, but she insisted.

Sorry guys. ;(

Anonymous said...

baka naman bingi siya.

onyxx said...

nyee... among native english speakers, i don't think i'd consider NZers having the best accent either. no wonder she can't understand the way pinoys speak (at least we have an excuse because it's not our first language). kiwis are also known to 'mangle' certain terms. i think her dissatisfaction stems from the fact that a lot of kiwis will lose their jobs to folks whose accent (in her opinion) is below par.

ekstranghero said...

haha, always knew this is about corics! :-)

she's a gossip columnist but still, i got irritated so, i posted it here. onyxx is right, they're losing their jobs "because of us." hehehe.

i hope everyone is having a nice break.