05 April 2009

(Honest) Scammers

Have you ever received an email from a Nigerian banker claiming they have a business proposition with you involving a huge sum of money? The usual intro is any of the following:
  • He or she is a member of a very, very rich family. The family died and left him a huge amount of money. But he can't claim it yet because the government is monitoring his financial activities, and that the government intends to sequester the whole amount. So, the solution is to transfer this overseas (this is where you come in), but he needs some financial information about you first. What happens afterwards is the scamming part.
  • It could also be a lawyer, with a very wealthy client who died without appointing anyone as their heir, so, if you are willing, you can have the wealth, but before that happens, you have to give an advance fee or something.
I remembered when I was in college that I initiated contact with the "Nigerian lawyer." We had an exchange of emails twice or thrice I think. I was trying to figure out how they will actually do the fraud, so, I told them I was interested; gave them some false information (fake name, address, and other information).When they finally ask a bank account, I told them I am interested to know how they are going to execute the fraud. (And that I know from the very start that they are scammers.) As a proposition, I told them I am willing to split with them 50% of my potential fraud kickback if they are going to tell me how they are going to "hack" the bank account (I assume they will hack or make fake wire transfer requests.) Unfortunately, they didn't share it with me. Sayang. :-)

Anyway, I was surfing the net a while ago and saw a post about an honest scammer:


Happy weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Rico said...

Honest naman pala eh!
Have a great weekend man!

onyxx said...

i have received similar emails in my yahoo account. i usually just delete them (unread). a total waste of time.

renaye said...

oh dear. i hope my kiwi friend in telecom/xtra is not affected!

artemis said...

ha ha ha! funny!