20 March 2009

Soon-To-Be Senior Citizen X

I visited my beloved alma mater yesterday to talk to a professor. (Before I proceed with the "actual" post, let me just share some changes I noticed at school.)
  • No ID, No Entry. Wasn't able to enter the building where I was supposed to meet my contact without presenting a valid ID and a valid explanation. Ang saya no?! And also, the "kids" are wearing their IDs, with lanyards and all.
  • I saw not just a couple of kids with laptop superpokin' as if they usually do that during breaktime. (What we do during breaktime then was to squat in a friend's Tambayan and have yosi.)
  • More organized AS 101; fewer cars in Faculty Center parking lot; less kids in Tambayans (in fact, less Tambayans!).
  • Oh, and smoking is prohibited anywhere in the campus.
Now, to the main topic. Have you ever seen or felt these signs, or something similar?


  1. After my meeting with the professor, I went to a friend's Tambayan. She wasn't there, so I asked the students where she is. "May klase ho siya," was their polite answer. Whoa! They just used HO (polite expression used to older people). I might have let it simply pass away if they used PO… but HO?! That was not polite! Hehehe.
  2. During the last few months, I have been going to gimikans less and less. During my top-secret-BPO days, everyday is a Friday night. It's either Total Gas Station (yeah, they have booze there - for 24 hours pa!), BF, Makati, etc. But now, Friday night only happens almost once a month, and it has to meet some prerequisites: It has to be closed to a payday or there's no OT work the next day.
  3. What I have been receiving more lately are invitations: baptism of their new born kid/s, wedding of former colleagues, and some more weddings and baptisms.
  4. My high school and college friends are sending me pictures of their sons or daughters. And I am sending them… pictures of… me (but in different places here and abroad. Haha, yabang!)
  5. Starbucks or Seattle's is the new Malate for many of my friends now.
  6. When I meet up with college barkadas before, we talk about how we want to dominate the world, perform a Madoff, visit Trillanes and give him a lecture on Mutiny 101, climb to Sagada, etc. But now, whenever we meet, we talk about our college years, about former professors and crushes, about our struggles in life. We are now looking back, instead of forward! What the--
  7. Oh, whenever I receive email from Lina (you know her right?), I get irritated whenever there is an age restriction in the job offer. Not that I am applying to those positions but hey, what if I want to and there is an age restriction?!
  8. I was watching a show, and saw Jodi Santa Maria. During "my days," she's actually the youngest in the Tabing-Ilog barkadas. She's like the spoiled brat there. In an ABS-CBN show that I saw the other night, Jodi plays the role of a masungit na tita! She's now the Cherie Gil of my time!
  9. O, and this is so effin' irritating: an online buddy was so happy when Eheads had this final set concert. She said that was the first time she saw them performed live! Because according to her, she never saw them before yet, but she liked the tapes of her tito. Deym! Eheads is like my generation. But some kids look at Eheads in the same way I look at Pepe Smith, or VST and Co., or The Hotdogs.
  10. And here's a clean indicator/sign I know I'm getting older: I can even make a Top Ten out of it!!!
Wow, and I still don't have my first 5 million in the bank. (I told myself before that I'll have at least 5 million in the bank before I turn 25.) Hell, I don’t have my first million in the bank.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing you haven't gotten to the point where, during college get-togethers,all you talk about is your family and children! ha! :)

time is moving too fast to our liking. babies are now grownups, plants are now trees. so many changes. basta let's just enjoy life! :)

Anonymous said...

oh, you also noticed that we're now OLD? haha. and to add, i prefer staying at home than going out. drinking coffee in a mug (not some expensive coffee) makes my day, especially while watching/listening to the news.

then again, eks, at least we're no longer "just a kid."

Anonymous said...

youre only twentyplus and you feel old na? paano na lang kame na nakatuntong na sa 3_? mga lolo't lola na? wahhhhhhh

heres to maturity and wisdom :)

Anonymous said...

heheh... welcome to the geriatric club! seriously though, after a while you get used to it... that is, until the next bump further down the road. don't worry, it won't happen for a few years yet :D

ThePseudoshrink said...

I remember when I fell down the stairs of that top secret BPO company, the guys who rushed to help me said, "Okay lang HO kayo?" Notice the "honorific" use of the plural pronoun kayo? I dunno which hurt most, the strained ankle or that aforementioned dialogue.

Anonymous said...

you are fun LOL i am only 21 but i am not 16 yet i find that i enjoy getting old. maybe because i know that it is not just about the age but growth. that thought makes me want to be 40.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Sobrang nakakarelate. =) Dati nagtataka ako kung bakit nagsasabi ng po at opo mga 'bata' sakin. Inisip ko pa magagalang lang sila. Haha. But it's good to be a total grown up. =)

Anonymous said...

hi! this made me smile ;-) i agree with most of your observations; my college friends and i tend to reminisce when we get together too.

Anonymous said...

Hay naku, i am getting older na nga din cguro, pero dahil sa dami ng trabaho ko, hindi ko nabisita ang aking Alma MAter.

Anonymous said...

It still stings a bit whenever I hear the tricycle driver ask me, "San kayo, Ate?" he he

Ejay Yan said...

ako naman, laging "kuya" to the younger ones. in the neighborhood, sari-sari stores. di naman kaya, "sir." ang "po" di nawawala, but i have yet to experience the "ho." but i have gotten used to it. i don't know if it's just really a gesture of respect or talagang matanda na ba ako. oh well, if you guys in your mid 20s experience this, how much more a 31-year-old BIG.BAD.EJ. :P

e[k]stranghero said...

kg>> i think some of my friends are doing this to me already, hehehe.

mordsith>> batangas coffee brewed to perfection by a kapampangan? yes, just perfect. hehehe.

kaka>>to maturity and wisdom! (sana lahat ng "tumatanda" ganun no?)

onyxx>> sgetting used to it na. currently on second stage of grief. three more stages to go! hehehe.

TPS>> when was this?! sana may picture! hehehe.

PM>> don't wish growing up so fast! enjoy your early-20s phase while you can. (da&^it! i am now giving advice to the young minds of today!)

wits>> i couldn't agree more.. not the part where you enjoyed reading my post (but thank you, :-) but to your point that it's really kool to be a total grown up. (but still, they shouldn't use po and opo yet!)

caryn>> hayyy... soon, as what KG said, you'll be talking about your kids na.

sheng>> file a leave, visit your alma mater. i promise you, you won'tr regret it. saya e!

ate zarine>> yun. hehehe.

kuya EJ>> yun din. hehehe.

princess_dyanie said...

ahaha! natawa ako dun sa "Lina". sakin din eh email sya ng email :P

i think u watched "Tayong Dalawa". Jodi is not masungit there. ;)

Rico said...

So sad but so true. Have you been to Malate or the gimik places in The Fort lately? The crowd is so young!

Angeli said...

Your post made me laugh. I'm 31 so that makes me a grandmother now? :)